Thursday, June 4, 2009

prelude.

Here it’s about war and women. A couple hundred words, a couple times a week on man’s enduring obsession with girls and gunpowder, broads and battles, war and women – and those costly lessons we learn the hard way. Over and over and over again. I’ll address things that bamboozle, encourage, aggravate, and surprise. And other things, like zoo-keeping, the feminization of the American man, the rule of law and far away mountains. Things like the death of romance and the importance of high heels, a good mother, an old pair of Chuck Taylors…the disadvantage of pacifism, the advantage of pragmatism, sex, film, small unit infantry tactics, high adventure, stiff cocktails, speed and focus, professional athletes, gorgeous women and why “everything happens for a reason” is a bunch of bullshit. I’ll ask what happens to men “in between love” and how best to recover from a bad fight with your girlfriend. And more of which I can’t be sure. All will be framed by this reality: I’m no authority on war or women – just ask any of my old Marines, or old girlfriends for that matter – but I can’t seem to get either out of my mind. How best to fight? How best to love? How best to do these things we must as men with dignity and honor, excellence and passion? How best to move forward, despite it all, with a sense of humor? Such things require, I think, a couple hundred words, a couple times a week. Whether it’s a liberal democracy with a short past or a liberal blonde in a short skirt, I know this much is true: there are some things worth fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment